Books which need to be read to develop conceptual clarity :-
Essential Books for Paper 1 of Anthropology –
- P Nath (Physical Anthropology) This book is compulsory
- B M Das (Physical Anthropology) This book is optional. You can read it to understand basics and get few diagrams.
- History of Anthropological Thought (Optional book, not essential. Read it for wider knowledge)
Telugu Academy books (If you don’t want to read text-books, then these coaching material books are excellent substitute for whole paper 1). Highly recommended to get them.
- Anthropological Thought
- Anthropology Volume – I (Human Genetics)
- Anthropology Volume – II (Evolutionary Genetics)
- Anthropology Volume – III (Human Evolution)
- Socio-Cultural Anthropology
Essential Books for Paper 2 of Anthropology –
- Nadeem Hussnain: Indian Anthropology (Compulsory Book)
- Social Change in Modern India: M.N.Srinivas (Not necessary, read for wider understanding)
- Nadeem Hussnain: Tribal India (Compulsory Book)
- An Outline of Indian Prehistory: D K Bhattacharya (Selective reading needed)
You can also get Braintree coaching material, which consists of concise notes in 3 volumes for both papers.
Please suggest more essential books necessary in this list in comments section.